Saturday, September 28, 2013

Why Kata Is Important

Kata, or similar training methods, have been around for centuries for all martial arts discipline.  I won't go into detail, since I'm not a historian, but just envision any ancient army practicing for battle.  Their "kata" may have looked vastly different, but it's underlying purpose was the same: to rehearse predefined fighting principles in an orderly fashion.

Modern martial arts kata most definitely have an important purpose in teaching their respective arts.  Key fighting principles can be found within each technique, regardless of how insignificant the technique may appear.  Often these techniques are hidden: whether by design for artistic or protective purposes, or due to the ignorance of the person practicing, learning, or viewing the kata.

My original aim in January 2010, when I decided to relearn the seven kata of my youth, was simply to test myself in my physical ability compared to my youth.  I quickly decided though to make the study much deeper: I consider myself immersed in a self study course comparable with any high level in depth discipline. There is a wealth of good information online via blogs and Youtube. Think of it: we can watch the masters of our martial arts disciplines over and over - in slow motion, pausing and rewinding.Couple this with the excellent writing found relating to martial arts study and the modern intelligent student can gain great insight in their discipline: even redefining it based on their own needs (as I am doing with Shotokan) by studying other related disciplines.

For me, kata is the life-blood which connects me to the thread of Shotokan karate, through it's nearly 100 year history.  Certainly it has evolved from when Gichen Funikoshi brought his Okinowan karate to Japan and began the process of molding it to the Japanese way.  Apart from this lineage connection though Shotokan karate is much more: it's a way of viewing life from a "movement" perspective.  What I mean is kata teaches a way of moving the body to accomplish protective tasks: whether they be strikes or kicks, throws or take-downs, grappling or breaking. All kata movement has meaning: in may cases multiple - it's all up to how you interpret and practice.  It's this freedom to interpret, test and practice which makes kata study so intellectually stimulating.

That's all for now...


No comments:

Post a Comment