Monday, April 28, 2014

What To Do With The Thumbs?

Well, I can tell you emphatically I'm too old to suck them... :-)

Instead, from a karate perspective, how are the thumbs engaged during the process of applying open hand techniques?

I practice opened handed techniques as part of my self defense focused training. In each case I keep my thumbs tucked in for safety's sake. Often though I see pictures or watch slow motion educational bunkai videos on Youtube which show the thumbs sticking straight out while applying these types of techniques.

Personally I believe having the thumb sticking out simply increases the chances of injury to it during application.  It's not difficult at all to have the thumbs get briefly stuck in loose clothing, or limbs while moving through the technique in a full throttle situation.

Instead I tuck my thumbs in: whether it's a knife hand, palm heel, spear hand or finger strike, the thumbs are tucked in.  This further engages the muscles of the hands which make them stronger while making contact, but more importantly, protects them from serious injury. Keep in mind the hand loses much of its functionality with the thumb injured, so protecting it is common sense and part of self preservation.

Well, that's all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment