Thursday, October 23, 2014

What Is My Style of Shotokan Karate?

Well, it's tough to explain, since it's continually evolving and changing.

I think though that through it's evolving it is becoming more cohesive in it's philosophy and execution. Nearly five years ago I began the journey of self training in Shotokan Style karate. It's basis is ISKF from when I trained in a dojo many years ago, and is very much influenced by men such as Kanazawa and Asai. Certainly my original Sensei, Marc Steiner, had a tremendous influence on my karate as well. In just over two years of training with him the foundation was laid to be able to successfully teach myself thirteen (and counting) kata over the original seven I learned in Glenside.

One thing is certain, it is my style - the subtleties of how I interpret movement and technique, each being explored and tested so each kata has a legitimate purpose for existing in my repertoire. That's the beauty of having one's own style, interpretation allows a kata to become the property of its owner, as long as the owner understands its intent. Please understand though, I'm not saying I know the "true intent" of the kata I've learned - it's truly a continual life long process of education and practice. What makes kata so special though is it's both universally practiced across the continents, yet completely personal as it becomes a part of its owner through practice and reflection.

Yet, personalizing a style creates a dilemma. As one interprets kata techniques subtle changes in the performance of the kata are introduced. What makes sense to me may not look right to another experienced Shotokan karateka. This is where explanation and sometimes education come into play. While I'm not saying I know more about a particular kata than someone who learned it through traditional means, I do think sometimes I may have a more robust understanding from the internet research I've done. For example, yesterday while reading a karate based blog, I learned of a judo site (http://judoinfo.com/) which has tons of examples of Judo techniques. While reviewing some of them I couldn't help but see the similarities to some movements in Shotokan kata. I know it's somewhat common knowledge among the more experienced karateka that many kata techniques can be interpreted as throws and take downs, but at the same time there are those who hold to a more rigid interpretation and still see a pivoting technique as a defense against an opponent attacking from another direction.

I think what it all boils down to is strive to self train regularly for that's where your own personality influences your karate - making it your own, making it work for your purposes.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment