Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Let's KISS, Shall We?

I hope you didn't pucker up...

What I meant was: Let's Keep It Simple Shotokan (practitioner).

When looking at realistic applications for kata techniques keep in mind if they are ever to be useful in a self defense situation, they need to be simple: simple to understand and simple to apply. Think gross motor skills being applied under potentially very stressful situations.

One aspect of self training I enjoy is coming up with applications which, to me, meet the above criteria. One way I accomplish this is thinking of each technique being used in an attacking manner, rather than defending then attacking. When breaking down kata into bits and pieces my goal is to start with strikes of some sort followed by a control or throw, ending with retreating.

For me, there are no "mysterious and secret" techniques in kata, just straightforward applications with the intent of ending the conflict as quickly as possible. While I acknowledge there are more sensitive areas of the body better suited for attacking, in a self defense situation under extreme duress I believe hitting anywhere hard which has presented itself as an opening will suffice to, at the least, present the more vulnerable areas for attack.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment