Friday, March 21, 2014

Heavy Bag Training Options

Along with kata training, heavy bag work is my other main training method for karate. I have two heavy bags: a hanging bag which can be filled with water and a standing heavy bag which can be height adjusted and has a "spring like" action.

Currently I use the hanging heavy bag for timing and distance work, since I don't fill it with water during cold weather training - it hangs outside from a balcony over the driveway. In warmer weather I'll partially fill it so it has some weight, but will still move freely when struck - this better allows me to approximate striking a living, moving target. The challenge when striking the empty bag is if it is struck too hard it swings wildly making follow up strikes impossible. My goal then is making light contact strikes which move the bag enough where I have to adjust my angle and/or distance for follow up strikes.  This works particularly well with hand and elbow techniques, but less so with kicking techniques, since I don't like pulling my kicks too much, but it's doable. Typically I'll work a few different set of combinations each time I use the bag - boxing style combos, traditional karate combos and self-defense combos.
  • Boxing combos typically are 1-2, 1-2-3 or 1-2-3-4 techniques starting from either hand using boxing style stances from both sides mixing different types of punches.
  • Traditional karate combos are what is often practiced in the dojo as kihon, but moving into the bag rather than stepping back - rising forearm strike followed by a reverse punch for example.
  • Self Defense combos are practiced with either hands at sides or up in a defensive "fence" position attacking more with open handed techniques. I may be facing the bag, half facing it, or with it at my back. The assumption is the attack is imminent so I must preempt the opponent's attack.
My heavy standing bag is what I use for hard striking and kicking. The model I have has a flexible rubber section built into the stand so it moves when struck, which helps build reflexes, timing and to a degree distance. I don't use heavy bag gloves, instead I use leather work gloves that you would buy at a home improvement store. I believe these give me a more realistic feel, while still protecting my hands from abrasions. My goal is a one to two inch penetration for my strikes - enough to know I've made solid and correct contact without moving the bag too much allowing for follow up techniques. If I'm just working my traditional Shotokan punches from a set stance then I'll shoot for an up to four inch penetration - I don't want to feel like I'm pushing the bag so I don't try to punch through it.

Kicking either bag is done wearing different types of foot gear: sneakers of different types, light style hiking shoes, sandals (Tevas) and even old leather loafers.  The goal is to know how different foot gear affects pivoting and shock absorption when making contact.

Well, that's all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment