Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Kicking The Bucket

No, not that "kicking the bucket"...don't be so morbid!

I tried something I've been meaning to test for the last couple of years. I took an old bucket and a bungie cord down to the tennis courts last night and attached the cord and bucket to the fence in one of the corners creating a triangle with the bucket hanging freely.  What I wanted was a way of working kicks with something that provided movement and feed back, but without weight like a heavy bag.  The bungie cord stretched about five feet so the bucket would slide considerably depending on the area struck and the type of kick. I found it a great way to work on footwork, timing and distance - focusing solely on kicking and body shifting.

By using the fence I was able to adjust the height as well: for my front snap, side snap and roundhouse kicks I kept the bucket at my lower abdominal level. For working my side thrust kick I raised it to my chest level. Next time I'll place it knee level for practicing more self defense style kicks.

Another side benefit of using an empty bucket (all plastic) is it helps build reaction timing as well.  When struck directly the bucket swings around 360 degrees, which means it will strike you back when stepping in after the kick. It's a great reminder to keep your hands up ready to block or deflect an incoming attack!

Well, that's all for now...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Gerry, Patrick is trying to reach you - check your Facebook account for more info. Really cool Blog BTW! ~Caroline O.~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm on Facebook nearly every day but I haven't seen any PMs from him. BTW, you're my first comment on this blog!

    ReplyDelete