Monday, January 26, 2015

My "Thing" About Shoes And Karate...

Ok, so I'm coming out and admitting I have a shoe fetish. Of sorts.

No, it's not what your thinking. I swear! Instead my "fetish" relates to how my shoes perform when executing karate techniques. Since I train using footwear, as I recycle my shoes whether Velcro strapped sandals, leather loafers, sneakers of all varieties, or hiking boots, they are used in turn during karate training. Loafers while kicking heavy bag, or performing the Tekki kata on my driveway, or using my hiking boots doing kihon or kata on the gravel and hard packed dirt trails in the area. Regardless of the shoe type, I need to know how they feel when using karate techniques while wearing them.

For some, it's all about the Bass, but for me it's all about the tread: is it too slippery, or to "grabby"? How will it affect pivoting techniques? How well built is the shoe to withstand blows and deliver them as well? Shoes are vital tools in the success of many physical pursuits, and with karate this is especially true. I firmly believe knowing a pair of shoes performance capabilities is vital as part of full karate training.

Along with varied terrain, using various types of shoes, at least periodically, is a necessary part of a completely balance regimen of karate training. Compare a somewhat loose pair of leather loafers, to a firmly affixed pair of Teva hiking sandals  on a loose dirt and gravel path; which would you prefer wearing in an altercation with a drunk hiker?

Well, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment