Sunday, January 18, 2015

Tried Taking Karate Classes...

I recently completed training in the fall session of a new ISKF based Shotokan Karate Club in the area.

The classes were taught with enthusiasm and good structure and were enjoyable in as much as was learned. What the few weeks of twice a week training did was reinforce though why I enjoy self training instead. I simply admit I'm not into the Japanese way and uniforms worn; not interested in wearing a Gi and being barefoot. It just doesn't feel natural. I much prefer comfortable street clothes and footwear for training: much more realistic. I think with a few more years of self training I will start my own personal, western style of Shotokan based karate. We'll see where that goes.

I prefer loose scenarios instead of rigid ones. Movement into action; whether offensive or defensive. It's your decision and reaction to what is happening. Be in the moment, but in a open minded state, so reaction is instantaneous and natural.

I also prefer close in, body contact and control into limb destruction: coupled with strikes and kicks it is very basic yet effective. It's hard to mount an attack if your shoulder has been dislocated, or an elbow hyper-extended. Consider, together with the previous, is redundant striking to soft targets on the head and upper torso. Good stuff.

Well, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment