Monday, January 20, 2014

Circuit Training with Karate

I was just reading an article by one of my favorite karate bloggers, Jesse Encamp, regarding weight training and karate.

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/karate-strength-training-and-conditioning/

I'm no expert, so I recommend you read his blog for tips and further research the proper methods to train with weights to improve your karate.  What I will do though is share what I've been doing the last couple of years. I guess it's like circuit training in some ways: depending on the the day I'll work a particular kata and mix in some body weight training and light dumbbell exercises which work the major muscle groups. At the end I'll do some bag work as well.

Typical indoor winter training:

10 minutes of dynamic warm-ups
Weight training with dumbbells - right now I'm focusing on 50 reps using two 20lb. dumbbells doing a full squat into bicep curls, into overhead press.  Weights are lowered slowly once brought back to the shoulders from the press to work the triceps somewhat.
Planks ( I do different plank poses for each circuit, or switch the poses x number of seconds during one circuit - typically 40 - 60 seconds total)
Kata training - right now I'm working a kata 15 reps one night, then 15 the opposite side the next)
Bag work for 10 -15 minutes working ideas from the current kata, plus focusing on one or two kicks

Planks are done after each five repetitions of kata, so a total of three times for 40 - 60 seconds each.

Outdoor training:

This past year, in warmer weather training outdoors at a local park, I would mix in planks and push-ups between my kata sets - maybe two kata, then 10 push-ups, or 5 kata then 30 second plank.  I also added a 10 minute run at the end on some days. Once home (about 5 - 10 minutes from the park) I'd finish with some bag work and some days add some dumbbell exercises.

One thing I don't do is  static stretching - either before or after exercising. I'm sure I'd be more flexible if I did, since I used to when I was younger, but it's just not "my cup of tea" at this point.

This year one of my goals is to more systematically incorporate weight training as part of my karate training, as opposed to just doing periodically.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment